How-To Get a Medical Marijuana Card Online in Brooklyn, New York
After New York passed the Assembly Bill 6357 in 2014, medical marijuana is now legal under a state-regulated medical marijuana program. If you are like thousands of other New Yorkers, you’re wondering how and where you can get medical marijuana in Brooklyn.
You’ve come to the right place! Here we’ll break down the MMJ details including:
- Brooklyn’s Medical Marijuana Doctors
- Medical Cannabis Lawyers in Brooklyn
- Medical Marijuana Dispensaries serving the Brooklyn
- Places to see in Brooklyn while enjoying cannabis
- A Few Fun Facts about the city
Medical Marijuana Doctors in Brooklyn
In order to access medical marijuana in New York, you first need to meet the qualifying criteria for New York’s Medical Marijuana Program and to do that, you need to find a practitioner who is registered in New York to provide you with a written certification for medical marijuana. You can do this one of two ways; you can either visit a doctor in person or you can get your written recommendation online from an authorized telemedicine doctor.
Most people who prefer the face-to-face option start by seeing their primary physician for the certification, or if they are not registered with the program they can refer you to a doctor who is. You can also access a partial list of practitioners who are registered in the New York Medical Marijuana Program. There are currently 32 MMJ doctors on the Department of Health’s Registered Practitioner list who work in Brooklyn. Here are seven of the highest rated doctors who are registered with New York’s Compassionate Care Program:
Mikhail Risman, MD
1021 Avenue Z, Suite 201
Mark Joseph, MD
1509 Rockaway Parkway
Michael Yuryev, MD
2388 Ocean Ave
Daniel Charnoff, MD
2985 Quentin Road
Paul Branda, MD
6917 Shore Road
408 Jay Street #500
Medical Cannabis Lawyers in Brooklyn
Sometimes issues can arise even when you have a medical marijuana card. For times like those, or if you just want a legal professional’s advice on all legal things marijuana related, it’s good to know a qualified lawyer with experience in marijuana-related law. There are currently 28 skilled attorneys serving Brooklyn with experience in marijuana law. Here are five highly-rated MMJ lawyers serving Brooklyn.
- Richard Gutierrez at 718.355.9185
- Martello & LaMagna at 516.247.9244
- Elliot Schlissel at 347.974.5000
- Neil Ruskin at 929.432.2022
- Charles A. Ross & Associates at 212.616.3030
It’s also a great idea to consult your personal attorney for their recommendations as well if they don’t have experience with medical marijuana law.
Brooklyn Medical Marijuana Dispensaries
Once you have your medical marijuana card, you’re ready to visit your first dispensary. There are currently no dispensaries in Brooklyn, and at this time, there are no plans for any. The closest medical marijuana dispensary is located in Manhattan.
Columbia Care – Manhattan
212 E 14thStreet
You can schedule your first appointment with Columbia Care online. Be sure to plan on being there for at least an hour for your first visit consultation. They will sit down with you to discuss the products that may work best for you and answer any questions you may have. Also, don’t forget to bring both your written certification and your NY Medical Marijuana Card as you will need both to purchase products.
Columbia Care offers it’s three different medicinal formulations in three different product types. They offer sublingual tinctures, vaporization oil, and oral capsules. Their formulas include both of the state-required high-CBD/low-THC and equal amounts CBD/THC formulations, as well as a high-THC/low-CBD formulation. They also offer video consultations, express services, and delivery. Columbia Care also has several favorable client testimonials; here are just a few of them:
“I was apprehensive on my first visit, but Laurie and rest of the staff have been so friendly, welcoming and helpful, that I look forward to my visits now. They are very knowledgeable and are ready and willing to answer questions and provide any necessary assistance. Overall has been a very positive and uplifting experience during a stressful time in our lives.” – William
“I am very impressed with the level of professionalism at the dispensary. Many people have a large misconception of what transpires here and what the average patient looks like. This is not a bunch of burnouts; it’s compassionate care.” – Michele
Spots to Visit While Medicated
Now let’s talk about a few fun places to visit in Brooklyn once you have enjoyed some medical cannabis. While it’s home to tons of things you must see, here are a few of our favorites.
- Coney Islandis the must-experience place in Brooklyn. We can think of nothing better to do when high than to get higher…on the Cyclone! For over 90 years, this rollercoaster has been just one of the over 50 amusements to enjoy while there. Coney Island usually opens around noon and runs into the night and some early mornings. Come and enjoy the rides, attractions, and food.
- Brooklyn Heights Promenadeis home to gorgeous buildings and a park that honors a Beastie Boy (Adam Yauch aka MCA). Beautiful green spaces and historic Brooklyn homes make walking the Promenade an experience, not a journey. Grab an ice cream at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory if you are getting peckish and spend a little time with your thoughts, nature, and someone you love.
- TheProspect Park Zoois a wonderful place to spend some time when you are lifted. Visit the Barn and Garden section to feed some alpacas, then stop by the Discovery Trail to see what the red pandas are up to. You can stop in and see a sea lion training session, but a word of warning, they get a bit loud. Don’t be paranoid, they aren’t talking about you!
- The Bushwick Collectiveis the best place to go for those into graffiti and street art. Mesmerize yourself with tons of vibrant art from Jefferson street to Troutman Street toward Saint Nicholas Avenue. This outdoor gallery not only gives way to expression but is often a sanctuary for those using street art to use their pain as a positive expression. While you’re there, swing by Roberta’s pizza or NorthEast kingdom once the munchies kick in.
- TheNew York Aquariumis one of the best places to chill out with the animals as you relax your state of being. Go to the Aquatheater to see the California sea lions and their many tricks. Practice your best Jaws imitation at the Sharks, Rays, and Turtles exhibit. Then waddle over to the Sea Cliffs exhibits to commune with the sea otters and the penguins. Not only will you be entertained, you will be helping save wildlife too.
Fun Facts About Brooklyn
- Brooklyn has over 700 arts and cultural institutions.
- The deep-fried Twinkie was invented in Brooklyn.
- Brooklyn has 2.5 million residents and if it was separated from New York City, it would be the fourth largest city in the US by population.
- In 1884, P.T. Barnum marched 21 elephants across the Brooklyn Bridge on foot.
- There are a plethora of celebrities from Brooklyn, some of which include: Larry David, Jay Z, Barbara Streisand, Woody Allen, Adam Sandler, and Spike Lee.